Thursday, March 5, 2009

Not for the faint of heart...or stomach!

Warning: If you are squeamish at all you may want to skip this post.

Let me tell you a story. Last week Rich and I were going to go to lunch with Janet, my mother-in-law. All the kids were in school except for Julia, of course. Janet came with us in our car but we needed to stop first to get gas. We pulled into a Shell gas station, the same one Rich and a friend had just been to before we went to lunch. I went in to pay while Rich waited by the car. While I was paying I noticed little boxes on the counter for sale. They were dried and flavored larva and crickets. Ewwwww! After paying I walked out the door and up to the car and started to tell Rich about this disgusting thing that they were selling and I was going to say that I couldn't imagine anyone buying those except stupid boys who were drunk when I saw this...
I screamed, which I usually don't do in public unless something terrible has happened. There was my sweet, innocent little baby girl with nacho flavored LARVA in her mouth! I told her to spit it out and she refused, she liked it she said. Rich bought a box of the Larva when he was at the gas station earlier. He didn't tell me about it, he just waited until I was gone to give it to Julia. I gave Rich strict orders to NEVER give her anything so disgusting again, which he thought was funny. He's famous for paying the kids to try stuff like a spoonful of Horseradish or Tabasco sauce. He learned it from his Grandpa. Poor Julia didn't even get paid for this.
When the little kids got home from school Rich gave some to Ally without me knowing. She thought they were yummy until I showed her the box. She asked if they were bugs, I said yes, and she said she didn't like to eat bugs so she didn't want any more. A very calm reaction I thought. All of the boys were smart enough to decline trying them. Hopefully soon the girls will figure out they need to be very skeptical when Daddy offers them something for a snack!



11 comments:

Susan said...

Gross - I guess we should watch out at the ward potlucks for anything Rich brings to eat?

Renetta said...

OH MY GOSH...JILLY...THAT IS THE FUNNIEST THING I HAVE EVER SEEN... I love that Ally is eating them...but maybe not so much that Julie is...
If I were you I would find something so disgusting and slip it in Rich's next dinner...like the spit out remains of Larva????

Jill said...

In all fairness I do have to say that Rich did try them too and didn't think they were bad. He said they'd be good in a salad! :)

JeN said...

EEwww.. My tummy was already sick and now I think i just threw up in my mouth.. That is really yucky!! And you are telling me these are classified as treats.. EEwwww

The Horvath Crew said...

i don't even know what to say to that post, gross, gross, gross, only comes to mind.

Kittell7 said...

Classic Rich, Didn't he give Ally a big glass of buttermilk to drink? I vaguely remember him giving her something gross....and making the dog lick the 9volt battery! Good Times :)

Anonymous said...

That...was...awesome!! Man I wish I was there to see the look on your face Jill! I haven't had a laugh that good in a while. Sometime I'll have to tell you about the time I fed Justin cat food. HaHa!

N said...

OMG! That is soooo horrible! I can't believe that a company would actually make money from selling that? What are they thinking? You have a brave little girl. :)

j- said...

What wacko came up with the idea to make these!!! Seriously!!!

Raich said...

Eww...I wanna know if HE tried them or not!

Jenny said...

You guys are SO funny..steve and I are sitting here laughing. Steve said "that is so something Rich would do!" Love it..love the Feb post too. The girls are growing up so fast!! Miss you-