Tuesday, July 28, 2009

The continuation..at least the first half of it...

(Ally, Gage, Julia, Me, Grandpa, Jack and Jeremy)

...The first stop we made on our first full day in Oregon was to see my Grandpa. It was important to me because growing up he was the Grandpa I was intimidated by. He was gruff and stern and just generally didn't seem kid friendly. Even the last time I saw him about 7 years ago he wasn't all that happy to see me. I had heard that he had mellowed and sweetened up recently at the ripe old age of 94 so I really wanted to see him to experience it for myself, you know, before it was too late to make that memory. (The memory for me and my kids, he doesn't exactly make new memories very well anymore). It was great! He was happy to see me and was sweet to my kids. He patted my leg as I sat next to him and said he was so happy we came...I am pretty sure he knew it was me. He gave us hugs and kisses when we left, it made me quite emotional since I hadn't had too much of that from him before. It was nice and just seeing him made the trip worth it.
(Scott's memorial, they planted the tree when they made the memorial, it's so big!)

After we left Grandpa's we drove to my old high school. There's a memorial to my brother Scott there that we visit every time we go to Oregon. The school was open so I was able to show my kids my old locker from my senior year and the cafeteria, etc.. It was a little weird walking around my high school with my husband and 5 kids. We also drove by my old junior high, grade school, church and the house that I grew up in. Some things looked the same, some things have really changed.
(Rich, Julia, Jeremy, Jack, and Grandma Netta)

My Dad suggested we go feed the ducks at the Pringle River. I pictured a few cute little duck families but there were at least a hundred birds there; some ducks and pigeons but mostly geese. We did have to be careful where we stepped...lots of poop...that was gross. Next we went to the Riverfront Park in Salem which is next to the Willamette River. I walked down to the banks of the river, which is full of the smooth little river rocks, and skipped rocks with the kids. We watched an old stern wheel boat take people on rides on the river. It was fun.
(Me and Ally)

There is a carousel at the park that Grandma bought tickets for us to ride on. Each of the horses was custom made by local artists so they all had their own personalities. I had forgotten how "artsy" Oregon is.
(Jeremy, Gage, Jack, Ally and Julia)

Later we walked around my Dad's little town of Monmouth to Western Oregon University which is just a few blocks away. The kids played at the park and found several trees to climb.

(Rich, Jeremy, Jack, Julia, Ally, Me and Gage)

The next day we went to the Columbia River Gorge. We went to Crown Point first which is at the top of the gorge.
(Ally)

The views were beautiful!

(Grandpa, Grandma, and the family)

Next we went down the gorge to Multnomah Falls and hiked up to the bridge.
After that we drove just a little farther to the Bonneville Dam and fish hatchery.
(the Sturgeon)
(Mr. Salmon smiling for the camera)

The fish hatchery had a huge pond full of Salmon and Sturgeon. There was a viewing window where we spent a lot of time watching the huge Sturgeon (they get to be about 10 feet long) and the Salmon swimming by the window. Jeremy took a picture of several of them but, "Mr. Salmon" as I call him, is my favorite because it looks like he's about to say something.
The next day we went to Silver Creek Falls. Rich and I stopped at the view point on the way there because it was so pretty. You can see the Christmas Tree farms behind us.
Okay my Twilight girls...yes, this is the field that the baseball scene in Twilight was filmed. A lot of that movie was filmed in this part of Oregon, including the in the gorge where we were the day before.
(Jack, Julia and Grandma at the top of the falls)

Silver Creek Falls is a little river, a big creek really, that flows over a huge cliff but...
there's a trail that goes under the falls. If you look close you can see the people on the trail under the rock overhang.
(Cousins Megan, Amy and Me)

That night my Aunt, Uncle, Cousins and their families came over to my Dad's for a BBQ. It was fun for my kids to meet even more cool cousins to play with. We made a fire in the fire pit, roasted marshmallows and visited. It was a nice evening and a nice end to the first half of our vacation!

7 comments:

lindaharper said...

Great pictures and trip. I wish our Oregon trips could have coincided. We'd love to see you and your family again!

julie Gutke said...

Another great entry ...with such great pictures !!! its only the first half of your trip and you have fit in so much... so happy you got to see family, visit places with fun memories and do it with your family what fun!!! i cant wait for the next entry..... the pictures of the family all together made us all feel a little sad though as we miss you all terribly!!!!!!

Amy said...

Thanks so much for taking the time to post this! It is so fun to see your family and read about your trip! I am grateful we were able to see you while you were here. It looks like you made a lot of fabulous memories with your family!!

Raich said...

thanks for postin the twilight pic!! thats a cute pic of you and bish, your hairs cute like that too..glad you had fun...looks like somewhere we'd enjoy vacationing too....

Kittell7 said...

Your vacation looked so fun.....thanks for sharing!
P.S. Cant wait to show Allison the picture of the field...she will squeal with delight!!

Danya said...

OK the pic of your beautiful kids in the tree was my absolute fave!!!!!!!

N said...

What beautiful pictures! I love the picture of you all with your grandfather and the story with it. Very touching photo. :)