Tuesday, October 20, 2009

BYU!

I finally convinced Jeremy that BYU would be a great place for him to get his undergrad degree. He wants to be a doctor, as you know, and was not thinking BYU was where he wanted to go. "Too many Mormons there"....uh, yeah. Not that he's against our kind but he thought it'd be better to be in the REAL world. See what all that had to offer. "Okey-dokey, your choice" I said.

Then last Wednesday we went to an informational fireside about the Church Educational System. We heard about the LDS Business College, BYU-Idaho, BYU-Hawaii, and THE BYU in Provo. That helped some. For being a fabulous school BYU is very inexpensive. Plus #1. They hold your spot and scholarship if you go before your mission so you don't have to reapply after. Plus #2. But still Jeremy was not convinced. "They have no pre-med program". So I did research.

BYU has a pre-med counselor, a pre-med club, and is a very good school to go to for someone who wants to be a doctor. I didn't find any schools with a specific pre-med program (that wasn't Ivy League), you just see what the pre-requisites are for med school and get into a major that takes care of those. "Hmmmm, maybe" he says. His favorite cousin Katie lives in Provo and they could go to school together...still "maybe".

The deciding factor? "I know Aunt Wendy took skiing as a PE class, maybe they have snowboarding." I say. "I'm in!". Really? That's all it took? I checked, they only have skiing but I'm not telling him that. He's close to the canyon, I'm sure he'll have friends who snowboard and will take him along.

Woohoo BYU!

5 comments:

Amy said...

That is awesome! Way to go getting to the heart of the matter!! Mother really does know best, sometimes it just takes a while for them to see that!

Susan said...

That is great! The whole pre-med major is a myth. It doesn't exist really but I can't tell you how many kids and parents talk about being "pre-med" BYU is a great school if you are trying to get into medical school. BYU also exports a huge percentage of people to dental school.

Glad to hear Jeremy is considering BYU. It is such a great experience to go to school there!

Jill said...

Susan, you gave him a lot of great info when we were over. I think that was the beginning of him starting to consider it! If I can just get him there I think he'll have a wonderful experience.

The Slaters said...

Thats great...I loved BYU-I and the had friends that were able to snowboard for the skiiing class. So it just may work out :)

Sarah said...

That's hilarious! Tell Jeremy that Jeff took the snowboarding class and loved it! You still register under skiing, but you get to choose whether to ski or snowboard. Oh, and I had a ton of friends there who were pre-med. Definitely a good school. :)