Sunday, January 9, 2011

No more Grandpas...

This Christmas we were going to take our family to Oregon to spend the holiday with my dad and step-mom. We don't get up there very often and I feel bad about that so I thought Christmas would be nice. I have several cousins that I enjoy and would like to see more often that live there, an aunt and uncle, and my Grandpa Frederick that are there also. Just a few days before we were supposed to leave Dad called and told me that Grandpa had passed away that morning. We thought about driving up as planned but since my aunts were flying in from back east for the funeral and to help settle everything the kids wouldn't really get to spend much time with their grandpa and grandma so we decided I would fly up alone. 
I really had a good time seeing all of my aunts and uncles and many cousins. My sister, Wendy, and brother, Steve, flew in also so it was a family reunion of sorts. Wendy, Steve and I stayed in the same hotel room and really enjoyed being back where we grew up, just the three of us siblings, spending time together and talking about all of our old friends and time spent there in the past. It was also nice to spend time with all of our step-siblings and getting to know them better. I used to babysit the older 3 but only really knew them as kids. It was fun to see all of the family. We hadn't all been together for years.
(Me, Aunt LaDonna, Wendy, Aunt Linda, Step-Sis Nicole and Sis In-Law Sarah)

(All the cousins...Yes my brother Steve is the family clown, can you tell?)

The funeral was very nice. Grandpa was the first Bishop of the church in Hillsboro area, just outside of Portland, and several people that were in his congregation at the time came. For example, there were two men in their 60s who were teenagers at the time Grandpa was Bishop and they only came to church because Grandpa would drive to neighboring little towns to pick them up. All these years later they are still active and I think one young man later became a Bishop. 

Grandpa did years and years of family history. We have volumes of genealogy because of him. Not just names and dates but stories. It's such a blessing to have that thanks to his years of work and searching. Because of his work we know what good people we come from; religious, hard working, and some early founders of our country. 
Grandpa was buried next to Grandma who has been gone for 14 years. They were married Dec 23rd, 1935. Grandma died Dec of 1996 and was buried on the 23rd of Dec. Grandpa died on the 17th and was buried Dec 23rd also. So the 23rd of Dec is quite a date for them. 

(Uncle Mick and Aunt Mary, Dad and Netta, Aunt LaDonna and Uncle Rick, Aunt Linda and Uncle Mike)

It was great to see all of our family. We were sad Christmas didn't happen like we had planed but when I flew home we had a nice quiet Christmas at home. It was a nice gift that Grandpa got to go home to be with Grandma again. That's more important. I got to see family and all the green of Oregon that I miss so that was a nice gift for me. Family is important. It's too bad that it sometimes takes a funeral to get to see everyone again. Lives get busy and it gets hard when we're spread across the country. I'm grateful for a loving Heavenly Father that blesses us with the families we have and the knowledge that we get to continue those relationships after we're done with this life. Maybe then we'll see each other more often!
The whole family.

2 comments:

Ryan said...

This is a very nice post. I wish I could have been there. I am glad everyone was able to be there from your family and you could become closer as a family.

lindaharper said...

Very well done, Jill. It was so good to see you and I'm so glad you did this tribute! I hope the next time we see each other it won't be because of a funeral, but I know mom and dad are happy to be back together.